Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day (Observed)

Grace and Greetings.

I have been observing Memorial Day the way it usually ends up; watching baseball and relaxing. The memorial moment came during the Dodgers verses Cubs during the sixth inning. They had a moment of silence; as they scanned the crowd, there was one individual in fatigues, who near the end of the time, he could not maintain the salute, but was able to regain his composure. I am guessing that he was remembering fallen comrades, now a days, that is not hard for those in the military. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I was never in the military. Even though I registered for the draft, President Ford called off the registration altogether, so I never did hear back from the government.

For our immediate family, my wife insists on observing on the traditional date of May 30th. Of course, the fact that she was born on that date has nothing to do with her insistence. As she was growing up, she thought that all the parades in honor of her. Then Richard Nixon took all that away from her. Well, life goes on.

For me, I took the day as it came to me, I watched the Cubs win. I am not the anti-Dodger fan I used to be, maybe the 35 plus years out of Southern California has finally healed things. But I started watching the Cubs when we had cable in seminary, then again in Ohio. I have always liked the fact that for me, the Cubs were the "Traditional" baseball team; played on grass, played during the day; and does not have the designated hitter rule. So you may ask why am I such a die hard Angels fan, at least they play on real grass. Anyway, I still felt like I was hit by a semi, so I went back to sleep and woke up in time for the Angels game which should be starting here in a couple of minutes; so I need to wrap this up...May your Memorial Day be safe, but remember why we have the day set aside, to remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Peace and blessings to all.

No comments: