Friday, May 16, 2008

Our Little Neighborhood.





Grace and greetings.



In continuation of our "neighborhood", you can see where the manse is in relationship to the church. The building behind the manse in the North Slope Borough office, which is in charge of the North Slope Borough, about the geographical size of Minnesota.

In the picture above, you can see a small shed like building, and you can see it better in the picture below.

The larger of the two building below is the "new manse", build around 1960. It is a duplex that we rent out.

It is the smaller building that I want to write about. Back in 1984, they built the small 400 square foot building to house two VIM's (Volunteer in Mission) for the coming year. One of those two VIM's would become my wife. We met at a Presbytery meeting neither of us were suppose to attend. While my wife was in her first year of seminary, she decided to apply for a year position, but her Candidates Committee told her not to take the position in Barrow, because she had moved around too much after graduating from High School. So she contacted the Barrow Church and said thank you, but no thank you. About four months later, she received the plane tickets in the mail, and contacted her Candidates Committee. They agreed that she was suppose to go, so off she went.

In the meantime, as I was heading into my senior year of seminary, I applied to two internships, one in Northern Wisconsin, which would be a two year position; and one in Sitka, Alaska. I was offered both positions, but since I wanted to come home to Alaska, I chose the Sitka position. But soon after I was ready to leave for Sitka, the position fell apart, and I ended up doing my internship at my home church in Anchorage. The church in Sitka is in the Presbytery of Alaska, and Barrow and Anchorage are both in the Presbytery of the Yukon. So come the fall presbytery meeting of 1984 in Fairbanks, my wife and I met. The rest, as they say, is history.

Peace and blessings.

No comments: