Grace and greetings.
I am sorry that I have not kept up with the communications lately, but here is what is going on:
Kim came home a little more than a week ago, she still has a long way to go, but is not on the IV's, so the hospital released her. Anyway, here is a list of what the list of what the hospital wrote up:
1. Acute respiratory failure (the survival rate for two years out of the hospital is at 45 %)
2. Streptococcal Midas empyema causing number one. (Lungs are permanently scared)
3. Acute renal failure secondary to streptococcal Midas empyema. (expected to heal with time).
4. Severe sepsis with systemic inflammatory response syndrome.
6. Altered mental status secondary to sepsis
7. History of underlying bipolar disorder.
9. Coagulopathy secondary to sepsis.
11. Right lower quadrant abdominal pain secondary to constipation
13 Hematuria with possible underlying urinary tract infection. CT kidney stone did not show any abnormalities.
And here we thought it was just pneumonia with a collapsed lung...anyway, the doctors here that are working with her are saying that it will take one to two years for her to completely recover.
So, the long and the short of it, is that it will be day to day. She has been up and about, and the doctor has suggested that she start singing again to exercise her lungs and getting her breath back. Again, one day at a time.
Tomorrow is the election, I hope you have been able to vote or at least will be able to tomorrow. We took Sam to the polls Friday, (Halloween), his favorite holiday, for his first official voting experience.
Peace and blessings.