Thursday, July 5, 2007

Pleading the 5th on the 4th

Yesterday was the 4th of July. It was a beautiful day here in Barrow, just as is today. 50 degrees, very slight wind, almost perfect. Trouble is that I am inside, and the fantastic weather is outside. I guess this will be made up very soon, as the weather turns to winter quickly enough.

I wanted to be up early yesterday, clean the house a little and enjoy the parade through the village. Instead, I was woken up by the sirens of the fire trucks as they went by our house in the parade. It was 12:25 pm. I slept through the morning again. I went downstairs and watched the parade as it went by the house. My wife and son were both woken by the sirens as well, but only my son mustered the energy to get up.

We spent the day quietly, enjoying the day off. The village has a three day celebration, with the parade, races, dances, ball games, tug-a-wars, etc. Last night being Wednesday night, we held our regular Wednesday night services before the Barrow Dancers performed.

Today we have been having problems with the Internet connection at the church, and it becomes very frustrating with the slow connections even though we have DSL. Of course I intended to write much more than I have so far, but all that I wanted to say has long left my head. "That train has left the station."

Last week I went to Wainwright, a village southwest of here, I will "blog" about that next time. Right now, I think I am going to enjoy the sun outside, and worry about the office later.

Peace and blessings.

2 comments:

Pat H. said...

Ian - I enjoyed reading your five previous entries. The experience left me feeling as if I were sitting across from you at my kitchen table just talking about "stuff". I hope you can find or make time to blog frequently. Your observations, especially about life north of the Arctic Circle, are very enjoyable!

Hunsaker said...

Ian - I enjoyed reading your five previous entries. The experience left me feeling as if I were sitting across from you at my kitchen table just talking about "stuff". I hope you can find or make time to blog frequently. Your observations, especially about life north of the Arctic Circle, are very enjoyable!